Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Change Will Happen by Clint

Holy Cow, it’s 2008. When midnight rolled around and we moved into the New Year, I had trouble wrapping my mind around that. I always do, though. I remember when the year 2000 marched into our lives. It was weird to think that we were living in the 21st century. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love New Year’s. You can never cram too much college football into one day, and it is definitely exciting to think about the changes that might await in the coming year. However, I also cant help but think about that line from the old U2 song that says, “and nothing changes on New Year’s Day.” I don’t usually have Bono’s voice running through my head, so I’m not crazy, but I think the point is well taken. We are so quick to be optimistic on one day then pessimistic the next. We live in a rut all year, and we get so frustrated about so many things for 364 days, and then on one day, we act as if everything might arbitrarily change. I promise I’m not the Grinch who steals New Year’s, but do things change on New Year’s Day? Imagine living day to day in such a way that when New Year’s rolled around, the exciting thought was having another year in the blessings that you have. There is nothing wrong with resolutions, its just I don’t ever see them last past February. A different day will never bring about change itself. Change comes from a commitment to living one’s life in certain pattern day to day whether its January 5th or August 27th. In the movie Chariots of Fire, the main character says, “Where does the strength come to finish the race to its end? It comes from within.” So, where does the strength come from to change your life? It too comes from within. That inner strength is gained in spirituality, in walking and living in God’s presence. I’m tired of trying to convince myself I can eat healthy or work out every day on my own self-discipline. Even if I could, I’m wise enough to know that even if I kept my list of three or so resolutions, I might have new problems elsewhere in my life that would need changing. My thought is that starting with your faith relationship is the key. Like a row of dominoes, the best way to make them all fall is to start the first one in line. Start with your devotion to faith and see what else changes. That doesn’t mean everything will be easy or there will be no problems, but change will happen.

No comments: